3 Carriages

3 Carriages

2017 Restoration Pledge

The set of three Papal carriages dates from the mid 1800’s, the first, Carriage for Travel was donated by King Ferdinand II to Pope Pio IX, The carriage is of Neapolitan craftsmanship and was re-fitted with handles of the crossed keys and the papal coat of arms. The Two Gala Limousines were created in Rome by the Casalini Brothers, the interiors are outfitted similar to a throne room with a canopy like cover finely embroidered with silver threading and the Holy Spirit in the form of a dove. The coat of arms of Pio IX and Benedict XV visible on the left and right doors indicates these carriages were utilized during several pontificates until the early twentieth century. The restored carriages are on display in the Vatican’s Carriage Museum.

Details
CARRIAGE FOR TRAVEL

TWO GALA LIMOUSINES WITH THRONE

Details
CARRIAGE FOR TRAVEL

TWO GALA LIMOUSINES WITH THRONE